Sunday, August 12, 2012

Facebook


You know how you hear about girls getting bullied or made fun of or just generally abused on Facebook by Mean Girls? Well, guess what? It’s not just for high schoolers. And you know what else? The sting (while I’m sure is a lot more painful for a 16 year old) hurts pretty badly at 40.

Remember we talked about this? Well...I have had one friend in particular who did that to me. Actually, that whole post was because of her. But now there is this other thing. It all started a little over a week ago. I had a date. I was excited and I had talked to her about it. I mentioned it here, too (he was the one I wrote about at the end of that post). Anyway, we went out. I liked him, but wasn’t sure I was attracted to him. I was thinking though, that I would like to go out with him again to figure it out. After our date however, I didn’t get the impression that I would hear from him again and I was a little bummed. Over the next couple of days, I decided that it was for the best, as I really wasn’t attracted to him physically. Then, he did email me. Unfortunately, I wasn't so sure I wanted to go out with him again. I talked to my friend about it and she did not respond in a really supportive way. Not that that surprised me. She has never been really supportive of me. When we talk and I tell her about things I am going through, she has a habit of telling me how I’m wrong and how I should do what she is doing (going out dancing, going out so guys can buy her expensive dinners, or going out just to have sex, etc.). I don’t judge (ok, yes I do), but that’s just not me. I still like(d) her, but truthfully, I'm just more of a homebody- always have been. I have never once told her how she should spend her time. She cheated on her husband. I think she could use some advice, but I try to be supportive and enjoy her for who she is (slut). Well, anyway, as I was talking to her about this guy and whether or not I should go out with him again, she just slammed me. It was not good. I got emotional, started crying and saying things I probably should have said a while ago...or not at all. At the end of the conversation, I apologized for getting so emotional, but asked her to please understand, I’m not her. Maybe I would be happier if I was more like her, but I’m not.

Then, the other day, exactly a week after our conversation on the phone, I see this for her facebook status: In just ONE WEEK - I had one friend write me off because she can't handle how I'm "always so HAPPY & POSITIVE about everything in life"... and then another friend, whom I have not spoken to in 25+ years, track me down on Facebook because he "missed having his favorite HAPPY GIRL around in his life". FUNNY, HOW LIFE WORKS SOMETIMES...

My first thought was, “that can’t be me she is talking about. I didn’t say that. And I for sure didn’t “write her off.”” But I knew it was me she was talking about. I have tried calling her several times. I texted her to please call me back because it was “important.” Haven’t heard back from her. I don’t write people off...Ok, I do, but not like that. I liked being friends with her. She was fun to hang out with sometimes and our kids liked being together. Even though, truth be told, hers are kind of obnoxious. Oooh..passive aggression feels GOOD! Even here!! I thought about retaliating with an equally passive-aggressive status update, but that’s not my style. I would much rather blog about it here... Although, I do think it would be funny to write on her wall, “Hey, did you know that M (her ex) wrote on his jdate profile that you cheated on him when you were married? Is that why he ended up in that mental institution you told me about?” That would be a totally true thing to write, also...but kind of evil.

Anyway, I am hurt. I don’t know why she would put that there. It seems if she thought that (and cared), then maybe she could have called...except that we all know by now that she wrote me off. I just wish I didn’t have to read about it on facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I hate reading about that stuff on FB. I hate it when people just pick fights and/or air their dirty laundry there too - that's what blogs are for, or take it to a message! FB is entirely too public, with too much crossover between people, for it to be a good place for it. *hugs* I'm sorry you have to go through this. Drama sucks. I swear high school never, ever ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Drama does suck. I guess the thing is though...in high school, you're kind of expecting it. This totally took me off guard. But it was just wrong.

      Delete