Monday, February 20, 2012

President's Day

I think it is a misperception that if your children attend a Jewish day school, they get to learn a lot of Jewish stuff, but not much else. Maybe it is true of the very religious schools. I once had a friend (we taught Hebrew school together) and she was orthodox or frum and had grown up that way (for those of you who actually clicked on those links to get your daily dose of Jewish vocabulary, you're welcome). I remember having a conversation with her one time and saying something about Greek mythology. She had no idea what that was. Really. No. Idea. How was that possible? Now, I’m no Greek Mythology goddess (ha) myself. I don’t know that much about it, but I can name the major players thanks to my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Israel. Back in the day, I wrote a stellar essay on Icarus, by the way. So maybe students at the more religious schools don’t learn much besides religious stuff, but my children’s school is Conservative, which is pretty middle of the road, and their day is just filled with all sorts of secular goodness. Like President’s Day.* 
Kayla: "Mommy, George Washington chopped down FOUR cherry trees!" (E and N think she is wrong and that he only chopped don’t two. I don’t care know who is right or how they would know, but I was pretty proud of Kayla. So of course, I felt the need to push this conversation...)

Mommy: "And what happened when he chopped down the cherry trees."

Kayla: "See? One...two...three...four..."

Mommy: "Gotcha Kayla, four, let’s move on. What happened when he chopped down the cherry trees."

Kayla: "He had to sit on the naughty step."

Delusional, creative genius, all the same thing.


then there was this:

Naomi: "We had to write in our journal today about the president."

Mommy: "What did you write?"

Naomi: "Barak Osama" close enough, don’t you think? "was born in Hawaii."
Elliott: "Barak Obama" (that’s better now) "is the first brown president." I just love that.

and then my favorite

Elliott: "Mommy, how old are you?"

Mommy: "39, but don’t tell anyone. If anyone asks, I’m 26"

Elliott: "Ok, but Mommy, now you are old enough to be president."
And yet again, I am left wondering when it is appropriate to flick off my child.


*In case you were wondering, I'm not going to make a link for President's Day, I trust your Google abilities if you want more info.

1 comment:

  1. You have a nice, witty first-family, Ms President.

    ReplyDelete