Thursday, January 19, 2012

A weird thing was in my mailbox

You want to hear something funny? I somehow started getting Martha Stewart Living! Have you ever heard of anything so funny in your life? You don’t know why that’s funny? Want me to tell you? Well, there about a million things I would like to receive for free. Martha’s magazine is not one of them. Know why else? I don’t have time to read magazines. My priorities these days include making sure we all have clean underwear to wear. Seriously. I have about 62 People Magazines sitting in my house that desperately need my attention, but I just can’t get to them. I am so behind. I heard a prince got married or something a while back. Still not funny for you? Well, even if I did have time to read magazines, I’m not really a Martha kinda gal. Real Simple is more up my alley, but I don't even have time for that. And I am all about signing up for samples and free things as much as the next person is, but I swear I don’t remember signing up for this magazine. They just started appearing in my mailbox. Although I got the December issue two days ago and January just came today so I’m already less impressed than I was before I started getting the magazine. Because if I do let’s say, forgo clean undies for us, I’d rather it be for something other than 72 Christmas cookie recipes in JANUARY! That’s just annoying.
And it’s not like I have time to make any of Martha’s recipes. Although if I was going to make one, it would be this one. Someone made these one time for a child’s birthday party, and they were AMAZING!!! Really. Go make them. Now. 
But I’m not so much of a cook these days.
I used to be. I remember cooking and spending hours reading cookbooks and deciding on meals for friends. And then when I got married (gag) to him, boy did I plan some elaborate meals. I was so used to being known as a good cook by everyone, I didn’t want to let him down. Of course I don’t think he ever said anything more than, “It’s fine.” (nice, huh?) And that was after pouring 1/2 of bottle of ketchup all over the meal that had taken me hours to prepare. And interestingly enough, I didn’t even eat what I prepared for him because I am a vegetarian. Hours I spent cooking food that I didn’t even eat just to feed some ingrate. But I digress.
As I alluded to above, I don’t have a lot of time. By the time we all get home at night, the kids and I are exhausted and I am no more interested in cooking an elaborate Martha Stewart-esque meal than they are in eating it. In fact, when I ask them what they want for dinner, 99% of the time, the answer is sandwiches. And plenty of times I am more than happy to oblige. Not all the time. They get hot, yummy meals too. But most of the time I need something quick and tasty.
That brings me to this.
Last night I made a dish that I have made several times before and we all LOVE it. In fairness, Naomi always screams and cries and tells me she hates it, but that is a big, fat lie. Once I threaten her with some form of torture to get the first bite into her mouth, she gobbles it up. So, I thought that I really needed to pass it on to you guys because it is so simple and healthy. I kind of adapted it from a recipe on the back of a Trader Joe’s quinoa box.
Drum roll please...


Quinoa Salad
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups of uncooked quinoa (this is about 2 cups in my rice cooker which is how I make quinoa)
  • as much water as you need for that (I follow the little lines on my rice cooker to tell me how much I need)
  • 1 can of black beans (or two if you want more)
  • 3/4-1 avocado cut up (duh)
  • couple of handfuls of grape tomatoes sliced
  • 1 small cucumber
  • 1 cup of thawed frozen corn
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice
  • garlic salt
  • lemon pepper (from Trader Joe’s)
  • dried Cilantro (fresh would probably be better, but who am I fooling?)

Directions
Cook quinoa and mix it up with everything else. Add anything you want and adjust amounts. My kids like it if I add shredded cheese to theirs. Elliott asked me to add salsa to his, but I didn’t have any and I think it would be kind of gross.
I made the quinoa in the morning before we left for school and when we got home, it took me less than 10 minutes to add everything else. So easy and yummy! If you make it, let me know how it turns out. It really is delicious. 

It would probably also really be good if you made it with couscous instead of quinoa. Sometimes I tell Naomi that it is couscous salad to get her to eat it, because she thinks she doesn't like quinoa, and then when she is 3/4 of the way done I point and laugh and tell her it was really quinoa. Psych! She hates it when I do that.
So you see? Not only do I not have time to read Martha Stewart, but who needs her anyway?

2 comments:

  1. I had mysterious subscription show up once -- for Golf Digest Living! Who know there was a magazine about living near a golf course? It was very funny, since neither my husband nor I golf, and I would never want to live near a golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I think you need to start a 2nd blog to showcase your culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete