Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Frenemy

What ever happened to the days of enemies. I don't like you, you don't like me, carry on. Now 


According to Wikipedia, "Frenemy" (alternately spelled "frienemy") is a portmanteau of "friend" and "enemy" that can refer to either an enemy disguised as a friend or to a partner who is simultaneously a competitorand rival.[1]


Now, fyi, I'm not about to give you the definition of "portmanteau"  (just kidding, of course I am), but if you've ever used it in a sentence before, I'm impressed! But I digress. Seriously, Frenemies! I cannot be the only one who has one. And this is the part where I question the sanity of keeping this blog NON-anonymous. You see, I've come to terms with the fact that I don't have a lot of "friends." One true one that I can think of...and if you are reading this Rache, now would be a fabulous time to get your first comment on. :) Say, "Cheese!"
So, I have one friend, someone who I feel really knows me, no secrets, who I can talk to, cry to, laugh with, etc. You get the point. Then I have lots of acquaintances: people who are good to chat with occasionally, hang out with, go out for yogurt with, have playdates with our kids together, etc. And I really like  my acquaintances, so if any of you are reading this, please don't be offended. I would love it if one day we were besties, too. And there are even a few people who I just flat out can't stand. And that's fine. But then there is the one...the only..the FRENEMY. And it is so confusing. Because here I was, for years thinking that this was one of my best friends. We had so much fun together and talked about a lot of stuff and all the time! We had stuff in common, etc. But then as the years went by, I realized that more and more, I did not feel comfortable telling her things. There was a degree of competition that I felt was between us. And honestly, I've done a lot of soul searching about this. I don't think it was on my part. I just kind of felt like any time I did something, she had to go out to do it and do it better. From decorating our homes, to clothing, to collecting things, to HOBBIES, it went on and on. And here's the thing. I would be all about the whole, "She's just jealous/you should be flattered" thing, except for this, she has a pretty incredible life. Way easier and nicer than mine is (except for the kids, mine are the best). But seriously, if she wants the crap that I've had, she is welcome to it! I honestly can't think of why someone would want to steal my life!**
 **I feel like this would be a great time to show a clip or picture of that movie Single White Female, but I didn't actually ever even see it. So instead, check this out (it's a little long, but oh, the memories it'll bring back!):



Wow...can't believe I figured out how to get that little clip in there!


So, this clip might be a little dramatic (I hope!), but sometimes it feels like that. I mean, it doesn't feel like she is going to try to kill me or that Brandon is going to rescue me at the end or anything, but the other parts.
And the thing is, even if I don't tell her everything anymore, Facebook has made stalking your friends frenemies so easy!! So she still can find everything out. And that is exactly what she does. I like a page...she likes the page. I enter a contest, she enters the contest. There is a lot more involved that just that obviously. And before you suggest it, I don't want to stop posting on Facebook. I like it and it makes me happy (except for my stalker frenemy). It is getting to a point that I just can't take it anymore. It is hard for me to be me when someone else is trying so hard to be ME. And the problem with Facebook is that I can't "Defriend" her, because of the "friend" in "frenemy." Kind of.
See, that's why having a "frenemy" is a much a bigger bitch than a plane old ENEMY!

2 comments:

  1. You can put her on restricted on facebook. Then she won't see what you're posting - just your profile, but she'll still be your friend. I had to do this with a certain relation....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one person I would consider my best friend - my ONLY female friend in this city, as well as the only one of our friends who has children - is becoming like this more and more. Our paths are diverging and I have a very hard time telling her things any more. I'm just not comfortable with it! And let's not get started on the competition thing, which I swear she's doing without even realizing it...

    *hug* It sucks having them in your life, I agree, but there's also no easy way to remove them.

    ReplyDelete